OA’s defensive effort praised after slowing Fylde
- Credit: Archant
Andy Holloway praised Old Albanian’s defensive effort after they slowed Fylde’s potent attack in Saturday’s 25-15 win at Woollams.
OAs were the better team for much of the game, although only had seven points to show for their endeavour at half-time, courtesy of a George Warner try. They stuck to their task in the second period and, behind a fantastic display from the forwards, racked up another try, from Dom Regan, and three Dan Watt penalties to clinch the game.
The win snapped a five game losing streak and lifted OAs out of the National League One relegation zone.
“It was a massive win, there’s no two ways about that,” said Holloway. “I thought we controlled their attack pretty well. We knew how they were going to play in terms of their off-loading game and how it’s a narrow way to attack so our players either side of tackler had to be sharp, which they were.
“In the first half we gave them one good scoring chance, which they took. It was the only disappointing bit of the first-half; otherwise the defensive effort was massive, playing into the wind. Luckily, carved out a good score but should have had one or two more.
You may also want to watch:
“In the second half we defended very well and our attack and tempo matched theirs. And the pressure our scrum put on their forwards stopped them from having as much energy as they normally would.”
OAs face Blaydon at Woollams on Saturday, kick-off 3pm, and have a chance to gain ground on a very congested middle of the table.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival