OA head coach leaves to take over Championship side Plymouth
- Credit: David Buxton
OLD Albanian RFC have announced today the imminent departure of Director of Rugby James Shanahan.
The 36-year-old, pictured, leaves in May to take up a similar post at Plymouth Albion, a club he played for in 2002/03, who currently occupy ninth place in the National RFU Championship.
Old Albanian had hoped to retain Shanahan’s services as mentor and head coach for another year but, though disappointed at the news, have wished him every success for the future.
“It has been a very exciting time this past three seasons’ said club chairman Nick Hallett
“Albanians now have established ourselves in the upper echelons of National League One, the furthest up the ladder we’ve ever been.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud of that and very grateful to Shanners for his enormous part in getting us there.
“His friends, players and supporters at Woollams will regret his leaving but will follow his career with keen interest. The Club hopes he and his wife, Hannah, take nothing but happy memories with them.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
This popular, inspirational leader is also the coach of Cambridge University and the Hertfordshire County side, who are the current holders of the Bill Beaumont Cup. It is not yet known what effect his new position will have on either of these undertakings.
Shanhan has signed a two-year contract with the south-coast side with the option of a third year.