OA head coach leaves to take over Championship side Plymouth
- Credit: David Buxton
OLD Albanian RFC have announced today the imminent departure of Director of Rugby James Shanahan.
The 36-year-old, pictured, leaves in May to take up a similar post at Plymouth Albion, a club he played for in 2002/03, who currently occupy ninth place in the National RFU Championship.
Old Albanian had hoped to retain Shanahan’s services as mentor and head coach for another year but, though disappointed at the news, have wished him every success for the future.
“It has been a very exciting time this past three seasons’ said club chairman Nick Hallett
“Albanians now have established ourselves in the upper echelons of National League One, the furthest up the ladder we’ve ever been.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud of that and very grateful to Shanners for his enormous part in getting us there.
“His friends, players and supporters at Woollams will regret his leaving but will follow his career with keen interest. The Club hopes he and his wife, Hannah, take nothing but happy memories with them.”
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
This popular, inspirational leader is also the coach of Cambridge University and the Hertfordshire County side, who are the current holders of the Bill Beaumont Cup. It is not yet known what effect his new position will have on either of these undertakings.
Shanhan has signed a two-year contract with the south-coast side with the option of a third year.