OA head coach leaves to take over Championship side Plymouth
- Credit: David Buxton
OLD Albanian RFC have announced today the imminent departure of Director of Rugby James Shanahan.
The 36-year-old, pictured, leaves in May to take up a similar post at Plymouth Albion, a club he played for in 2002/03, who currently occupy ninth place in the National RFU Championship.
Old Albanian had hoped to retain Shanahan’s services as mentor and head coach for another year but, though disappointed at the news, have wished him every success for the future.
“It has been a very exciting time this past three seasons’ said club chairman Nick Hallett
“Albanians now have established ourselves in the upper echelons of National League One, the furthest up the ladder we’ve ever been.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud of that and very grateful to Shanners for his enormous part in getting us there.
“His friends, players and supporters at Woollams will regret his leaving but will follow his career with keen interest. The Club hopes he and his wife, Hannah, take nothing but happy memories with them.”
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 Shaun Jeffers and St Albans City a match made in Hertfordshire
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
This popular, inspirational leader is also the coach of Cambridge University and the Hertfordshire County side, who are the current holders of the Bill Beaumont Cup. It is not yet known what effect his new position will have on either of these undertakings.
Shanhan has signed a two-year contract with the south-coast side with the option of a third year.