Nothing to separate St Albans and Datchworth after sensational draw
- Credit: Archant
A breathless encounter could not separate near neighbours St Albans and Datchworth with both teams picking up three points in a 31-31 draw at Boggymead.
Each side looked to play attacking rugby from the off but both also displayed defensive frailties.
And the theme of the afternoon seemed to be Saints getting their noses in front only for the visitors to play catch up.
From a St Albans standpoint it was a welcome return for Dan Townson, who opened the scoring with a well-taken try following slick handling in the back-line.
Mark Kentish was impressive with frequent bursts from full-back, one of which enabled him to score the home team’s second try.
However each time St Albans scored, back came Datchworth with a score of their own to balance things out.
Saint’s extended their lead with a powerful performance from Joe Shaw who managed to bag a brace of try’s with some committed running which gave the opposition real problems.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 8 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 9 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
Tom Webb also got on the scoresheet for the home side as he made a vital contribution covering for injured prop Olli Moule.
Shaw’s second late in the second-half seemed to be enough to finally clinch the victory but the Men in Green were not to be denied and a draw was perhaps the best way to end a tremendous game.
St Albans finish their London North West Three campaign with another home game, this time against Grasshoppers on Saturday.
Kick-off is at 3pm.