Nothing to separate St Albans and Datchworth after sensational draw
- Credit: Archant
A breathless encounter could not separate near neighbours St Albans and Datchworth with both teams picking up three points in a 31-31 draw at Boggymead.
Each side looked to play attacking rugby from the off but both also displayed defensive frailties.
And the theme of the afternoon seemed to be Saints getting their noses in front only for the visitors to play catch up.
From a St Albans standpoint it was a welcome return for Dan Townson, who opened the scoring with a well-taken try following slick handling in the back-line.
Mark Kentish was impressive with frequent bursts from full-back, one of which enabled him to score the home team’s second try.
You may also want to watch:
However each time St Albans scored, back came Datchworth with a score of their own to balance things out.
Saint’s extended their lead with a powerful performance from Joe Shaw who managed to bag a brace of try’s with some committed running which gave the opposition real problems.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Tom Webb also got on the scoresheet for the home side as he made a vital contribution covering for injured prop Olli Moule.
Shaw’s second late in the second-half seemed to be enough to finally clinch the victory but the Men in Green were not to be denied and a draw was perhaps the best way to end a tremendous game.
St Albans finish their London North West Three campaign with another home game, this time against Grasshoppers on Saturday.
Kick-off is at 3pm.