Non-League Day at Clarence Park this Saturday
Plue details of CITYLIVE coverage
WITH Fabio Capello’s England side in action against Bulgaria on Friday night, many football fans face the prospect of a blank Saturday this weekend.
Grassroots football fans have looked to take advantage of this free weekend by launching Non-League Day, where fans of clubs in the Premier League and npower Championship are being invited to their local non-league side to take in the action.
St Albans City will be hoping to see the benefit of this when they welcome Woking to Clarence Park on Saturday. The Cards are usually well supported on their travels and with the addition of the Non-League Day campaign, a healthy crowd is hoped for.
Defeat last time out against Maidenhead United - the same side who turned Woking over 2-0 at Kingfield last Saturday - left Steve Castle’s Saints with five points from their opening six games of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Woking currently sit two places above City, in 15th, with seven points from their first six games but the Cards were held to a 0-0 draw last time out by City’s fierce local rivals Boreham Wood.
Former City midfielder Sam Hurrell has been a regular for the Surrey side so far this season and prolific striker Dave Gilroy is expected to lead the attack in the absence of injured former Eastleigh striker Andy Forbes.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Castle suggested changes will be made to the Saints squad following Monday’s defeat to Maidenhead and the City boss has already signed former Stevenage striker Jean-Michel Sigere.
Ben Martin is hoping to overcome the hamstring injury that ruled him out of Monday’s game and Ross Dedman continued his journey back to full fitness with 45 minutes for the reserves against Harpenden Town on Tuesday night.
For those of you who are unable to make it to Clarence Park on Saturday, the Herts Advertiser’s CITYLIVE service will keep you up-to-date with all the action as it happens – just click on the link in the top right hand corner from 2.30pm on Saturday.