No more cup heroics for London Colney as they crash out of Herts Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
London Colney couldn’t follow up their FA Vase success as they crashed out of the Herts Senior Cup to Sawbridgeworth Town.
Colney had come from behind on Saturday to beat Great Yarmouth Town and hopes were high they could do the same after Reece Barrett put Town ahead in Tuesday’s clash at Cotlandswick.
However it would prove to be the only goal of the game.
It was always going to be a tough ask for the Blueboys as the visitors top the Essex Senior League with an unbeaten record.
But Colney were well below par and not as sharp in the box as they are normally.
You may also want to watch:
They did test the Sawbridgeworth goal early on. Sam Doolan headed straight at Scott Byrne and Jon Clements should have done better when he burst clear into the box, Byrne saving his shot with an outstretched leg.
But it was the visitors who took the lead on 27 minutes; Barrett’s shot from 20 yards flying past Charlie May.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
James Ewington replaced the injured Jack Woods early in the second-half and he had the first chance, his shot blocked by Byrne.
Mitchell Das, who caused problems all night for the Blueboys, saw a cracking strike well saved by Charlie May and only a last-ditch tackle by Spencer Clarke-Mardel prevented him from increasing Town’s advantage.
Ewington had Colney’s best chances to equalise but he shot wide twice with only Byrne to beat
A late scramble in the goalmouth saw Sawbridgeworth clear off the line to leave Colney out of both of this year’s county cups.