No more cup heroics for London Colney as they crash out of Herts Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
London Colney couldn’t follow up their FA Vase success as they crashed out of the Herts Senior Cup to Sawbridgeworth Town.
Colney had come from behind on Saturday to beat Great Yarmouth Town and hopes were high they could do the same after Reece Barrett put Town ahead in Tuesday’s clash at Cotlandswick.
However it would prove to be the only goal of the game.
It was always going to be a tough ask for the Blueboys as the visitors top the Essex Senior League with an unbeaten record.
But Colney were well below par and not as sharp in the box as they are normally.
They did test the Sawbridgeworth goal early on. Sam Doolan headed straight at Scott Byrne and Jon Clements should have done better when he burst clear into the box, Byrne saving his shot with an outstretched leg.
But it was the visitors who took the lead on 27 minutes; Barrett’s shot from 20 yards flying past Charlie May.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 6 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 9 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 10 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
James Ewington replaced the injured Jack Woods early in the second-half and he had the first chance, his shot blocked by Byrne.
Mitchell Das, who caused problems all night for the Blueboys, saw a cracking strike well saved by Charlie May and only a last-ditch tackle by Spencer Clarke-Mardel prevented him from increasing Town’s advantage.
Ewington had Colney’s best chances to equalise but he shot wide twice with only Byrne to beat
A late scramble in the goalmouth saw Sawbridgeworth clear off the line to leave Colney out of both of this year’s county cups.