No Itoje for England but Harpenden St George’s Farrell and Ford included
- Credit: PA
Maro Itoje has been ruled out of England’s autumn internationals after having an operation on a hand injury.
Saracens’ former Harpenden St George’s pupil went under the knife on Monday to cure a fractured hand, picked up in the Champions cup win over Scarlets on Saturday.
It will mean Itoje, who turns 22 on Friday, will miss the next six weeks of action, including all four of England’s fixtures in the Old Mutual Wealth Series.
Mark McCall, Saracens’ director of rugby, said: “For any team to lose a player of the ability of Maro is a blow and he will be missed through the autumn for both Saracens and England.
“What’s now important for Maro is his recovery and we look forward to his return later this season.”
You may also want to watch:
There was better news though for Itoje’s fellow St George alumni, Owen Farrell and George Ford, who were both named in Eddie Jones’ 33-man squad for the games against South Africa, Fiji, Argentina and Australia at Twickenham.
Jones said: “With a number of influential players missing through injury we have two weeks to prepare a robust and resilient team to meet the challenges set for us in the Old Mutual Wealth Series.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
“We’re looking forward to being back in front of a passionate Twickenham crowd and I’m confident we can prepare well and put together a matchday 23 which is full of pride, energy and commitment to give South Africa the game of their lives.”