No Hitch as goalscorer Ridgway signs for Saints
MIDFIELDER Sean Ridgway scored his first goal for City to help sink Hitchin Town in the Herts Charity Cup on Tuesday. Ridgway, who signed Conference forms with the Saints at the weekend, crowned his competitive debut with a goal. The former Aldershot Town
MIDFIELDER Sean Ridgway scored his first goal for City to help sink Hitchin Town in the Herts Charity Cup on Tuesday.
Ridgway, who signed Conference forms with the Saints at the weekend, crowned his competitive debut with a goal. The former Aldershot Town midfielder was with Hayes & Yeading last season. He impressed manager Steve Castle with his composed displays in the friendly matches against Thurrock, Boreham Wood, Barnet and a Spurs XI.
Winger Hassan Sulaiman has also delivered a boost to St Albans City manager Steve Castle by agreeing terms to remain with the club next season. Sulaiman, aged 22, netted a spectacular effort in the 2-1 defeat at Boreham Wood on Saturday.
The future of experienced midfielder Paul Bruce remains unclear. The former Dagenham & Redbridge man has not featured for City in pre-season and has been offered a coaching role at Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers. The 30-year-old scored seven league goals for City last term.
You may also want to watch:
Victory at Hitchin Town on Tuesday eased concerns over the lack of goals with City having previously netted only three times in four summer outings.
Castle was missing injured defenders Ryan Frater and Chris Seeby and the absent Simon Martin but otherwise took his strongest side to Top Field. Former Spurs youngster Ben Bowditch continued his trial spell with City with a start and fellow triallists Rodney Hicks and Jamie Eames came off the bench to feature in the second half.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
Paul Hakim gave City the lead but they were pegged back to 1-1 before Sulaiman set up Ridgway to net just after half time. Veteran midfield star Jonathan Hunt converted a penalty to make the score 3-1 and City completed a fine win with a brilliant late goal from former Peterborough United youngster Rodney Hicks.