No Hitch as debutant Gross inspires impressive Rovers
Herts Senior County League Division One Hitchin Town Arena 0 Harpenden Rovers 3 AFTER getting back to form in midweek, Harpenden Rovers went away to Hitchin Town Arena on Saturday anticipating a tough fixture. Rovers were delighted to give former Exeter
Herts Senior County League Division One
Hitchin Town Arena 0 Harpenden Rovers 3
AFTER getting back to form in midweek, Harpenden Rovers went away to Hitchin Town Arena on Saturday anticipating a tough fixture.
Rovers were delighted to give former Exeter and Wealdstone midfielder Marcus Gross his debut.
Gross and skipper Matt Chugg immediately struck an awesome partnership in the engine room and dominated the game from the very start.
Rovers opened the scoring when Chugg sent Gross wide, who beat two men and sent a superb cross for Graham Golds to neatly finish. The compliment was returned five minutes later when Adam Price crossed to Golds who unselfishly pulled the ball back for Gross to fire into the top of the net from 25 yards.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
In the 35 minute the game was all but over when Price lobbed the keeper from 30 yards and Hitchin looked finished.
In the second half Rovers were reduced to 10 men and in the searing heat unsurprisingly tired. Hitchin desperately searched for a consolation, but they found veteran Steve Fox an unbeatable rock in the heart of defence. Manager Jim Nicholls was delighted with the win and the manner of the victory. Rovers now have great squad strength posing a positive selection headache for the boss.
Rovers: Thomas, Pegram, Fox, Williams, Gross, Chugg, Price (Izzard), Gross, Poole (Jenkinson), Golds, Devoti (Wedd) subs Unused: Carberry, Lythgoe
The Reserves started their season well playing at home against Old Parmiterians Reserves in the Herts Senior County League Reserve Division Two. Harps played some excellent football as they ran out 4-1 winners. Goals were scored by Craig Redford (two), Joe Harmer and Andy Palmer. Man of the Match was Tim Couch.