No Hitch as debutant Gross inspires impressive Rovers
Herts Senior County League Division One Hitchin Town Arena 0 Harpenden Rovers 3 AFTER getting back to form in midweek, Harpenden Rovers went away to Hitchin Town Arena on Saturday anticipating a tough fixture. Rovers were delighted to give former Exeter
Herts Senior County League Division One
Hitchin Town Arena 0 Harpenden Rovers 3
AFTER getting back to form in midweek, Harpenden Rovers went away to Hitchin Town Arena on Saturday anticipating a tough fixture.
Rovers were delighted to give former Exeter and Wealdstone midfielder Marcus Gross his debut.
You may also want to watch:
Gross and skipper Matt Chugg immediately struck an awesome partnership in the engine room and dominated the game from the very start.
Rovers opened the scoring when Chugg sent Gross wide, who beat two men and sent a superb cross for Graham Golds to neatly finish. The compliment was returned five minutes later when Adam Price crossed to Golds who unselfishly pulled the ball back for Gross to fire into the top of the net from 25 yards.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 Remembering Heartwood Forest supporter Pam
In the 35 minute the game was all but over when Price lobbed the keeper from 30 yards and Hitchin looked finished.
In the second half Rovers were reduced to 10 men and in the searing heat unsurprisingly tired. Hitchin desperately searched for a consolation, but they found veteran Steve Fox an unbeatable rock in the heart of defence. Manager Jim Nicholls was delighted with the win and the manner of the victory. Rovers now have great squad strength posing a positive selection headache for the boss.
Rovers: Thomas, Pegram, Fox, Williams, Gross, Chugg, Price (Izzard), Gross, Poole (Jenkinson), Golds, Devoti (Wedd) subs Unused: Carberry, Lythgoe
The Reserves started their season well playing at home against Old Parmiterians Reserves in the Herts Senior County League Reserve Division Two. Harps played some excellent football as they ran out 4-1 winners. Goals were scored by Craig Redford (two), Joe Harmer and Andy Palmer. Man of the Match was Tim Couch.