No Herts Senior Cup final for St Albans City as they crash out to Hitchin Town

Louie Theophanous had City's best chance against Hitchin. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Louie Theophanous had City's best chance against Hitchin. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

Southern League Hitchin Town made it to the final of the Herts Senior Cup after shocking Vanarama National League South St Albans City with a 2-0 win at Top Field.

Goals from Lewis Rolfe from the penalty spot and Robbie Burns sealed a place in the final for the Canaries.

The defeat made it nine without a win in all competitions for City.

As is the case these days, St Albans included a number of debutants.

Shane Hill and Jeveni Brown started while Liam McDevitt joined youngster Nathan McGreavy on the bench.

The first goal was always going to be important but City will feel hard done to with how it came.

The penalty was one of them where you have a lot of sympathy for the defender, in this case Eddie Oshodi.

Most Read

McNamara’s shot wasn’t far away from him and as he dived to block, it struck his arm.

The referee had no hesitation and Rolfe tucked it away with ease.

Both teams had chances in the first half with City’s best chances coming form set-pieces.

Darren Locke scuffed an effort from 12 yards while Michael Thalassitis had a shot blocked.

Louie Theophanous had the best chance, cutting in from the left but Charlie Horlock made a smart save down to his left.

Hitchin though were arguably the better side in the first half, certainly they seemed the most ready for the battle.

Jonny McNamara got down the right flank a number of times and from one cross Brett Donnelly missed his header when he should’ve scored.

Callum Donnelly’s shot was well-saved by Joe Welch and the skipper then hit a curling effort onto the roof of the net as Hitchin looked to punish their higher-ranked opponents.

City had been guilty of hitting long and very hopeful balls in the first half but were much better in the second period.

McDevitt was introduced early and had a flick towards goal tipped over by Horlock and the new boy should have done much better when through one-on-one but had a heavy first touch and Horlock got there first.

Hitchin though looked dangerous on the break and after Lucas Kirkpatrick had sent one wide, Burns stroked in McNamara’s cross to make it two.

There was till 19 minutes for City to mount a comeback but the goal clearly knocked the fight out of them and Hitchin closed out the game to the delight of their supporters.

City: Welch, Kyriacou, Bender (McDevitt 52), Hill (McGreavy 61), Locke, Oshodi (B.Martin 46), Chappell, Gibson, Theophanous, Brown, Thalassitis

Subs (not used): Thomas, Corcoran


Hitchin: Horlock, Smith, Waister, Ann, Webb, Rolfe, McNamara, C,Donnelly (Barnes 89), B.Donnelly, Burns, Kirkpatrick

Subs (not used): Johnson, S.Martin, Palmeiro, Wright

Goals: Rolfe (pen) 33, Burns 71

Attendence: 136