‘No doubt’ Kyriacou will return this season
- Credit: Archant
John Kyriacou will return for St Albans City before the end of the season and could be in line for an appearance as soon as next weekend when Staines Town visit Clarence Park.
The right back’s recovery from an anterior cruciate ligament injury has been nothing short of staggering. Kyriacou limped out in the 88th minute of the New Year’s Day loss to Hemel Hempstead and hasn’t played since.
Kyriacou returned to training last Thursday, just 10 weeks removed from the injury, and, according to joint manager James Gray, looked like he’d never been away.
“He looked superb at training last week. After 10 weeks out he had a spring in his step and his touch was good,” he said. “From the way he was training I was half-thinking about throwing him straight in against Weston-super-Mare.”
He added: “We got him a membership at Westminster Lodge and he’s clearly looked after himself. I think he’s over the worst of the injury but we can’t push it too hard. By Staines, he’ll be in contention.”
Gray said he had “no doubt” Kyriacou would play against this season and revealed might send him out on loan or dual registration to get minutes before a return to Conference South action.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins