No disgrace for Verulamians but they head home from Kilburn pointless
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians came out with no disgrace but minus a bonus point as league leaders Kilburn Cosmos produced a 20-11 win.
Vees went into the game sitting in fourth place in the Herts/Middlesex One division and had hoped to close the gap on their hosts.
Kilburn started with a strong wind at their backs and the visitors couldn’t quite find their rhythm.
The teams traded two penalties each, Ben Russell kicking both for Verulamians, but the telling moments after Vees had a try disallowed.
From the restart they found themselves behind as Kilburn were successful from a quick counter-attack.
You may also want to watch:
Still reeling, Vees conceded another moments later to find themselves 20-6 down at the break.
Undaunted however, and with the wind now behind them, Vees camped in the oppositions’ half for the remainder of the game.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
And with Daniel Barnes and Mike Ainsworth excelling at the line-out, they were rewarded when Sam Crowne drove over from the base of a ruck.
But try as they might they could not force another score which would have brought a losing bonus point.
Vees now entertain the second in the League London Welsh Amateurs RFC at Cotlandswick on Saturday in a 2pm kick-off.