No disgrace for Verulamians but they head home from Kilburn pointless
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians came out with no disgrace but minus a bonus point as league leaders Kilburn Cosmos produced a 20-11 win.
Vees went into the game sitting in fourth place in the Herts/Middlesex One division and had hoped to close the gap on their hosts.
Kilburn started with a strong wind at their backs and the visitors couldn’t quite find their rhythm.
The teams traded two penalties each, Ben Russell kicking both for Verulamians, but the telling moments after Vees had a try disallowed.
From the restart they found themselves behind as Kilburn were successful from a quick counter-attack.
Still reeling, Vees conceded another moments later to find themselves 20-6 down at the break.
Undaunted however, and with the wind now behind them, Vees camped in the oppositions’ half for the remainder of the game.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 8 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 9 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 10 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
And with Daniel Barnes and Mike Ainsworth excelling at the line-out, they were rewarded when Sam Crowne drove over from the base of a ruck.
But try as they might they could not force another score which would have brought a losing bonus point.
Vees now entertain the second in the League London Welsh Amateurs RFC at Cotlandswick on Saturday in a 2pm kick-off.