No disgrace for Verulamians but they head home from Kilburn pointless
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians came out with no disgrace but minus a bonus point as league leaders Kilburn Cosmos produced a 20-11 win.
Vees went into the game sitting in fourth place in the Herts/Middlesex One division and had hoped to close the gap on their hosts.
Kilburn started with a strong wind at their backs and the visitors couldn’t quite find their rhythm.
The teams traded two penalties each, Ben Russell kicking both for Verulamians, but the telling moments after Vees had a try disallowed.
From the restart they found themselves behind as Kilburn were successful from a quick counter-attack.
You may also want to watch:
Still reeling, Vees conceded another moments later to find themselves 20-6 down at the break.
Undaunted however, and with the wind now behind them, Vees camped in the oppositions’ half for the remainder of the game.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
And with Daniel Barnes and Mike Ainsworth excelling at the line-out, they were rewarded when Sam Crowne drove over from the base of a ruck.
But try as they might they could not force another score which would have brought a losing bonus point.
Vees now entertain the second in the League London Welsh Amateurs RFC at Cotlandswick on Saturday in a 2pm kick-off.