Competitive season officially over before it starts for Old Albanian Rugby Club
- Credit: NEIL BALDWIN PHOTOGRAPHY
Old Albanian will miss an entire season of competitive league rugby after a ruling from the competition's bosses.
The National Club's Association, who administer National One and the two National Two divisions, have agreed to cancel a proposed cup competition scheduled to begin once lockdown restrictions ease as "there would be insufficient time to stage an authentic competition".
NCA chairman John Inverdale said "It was getting harder to envisage the NCA cup getting off the ground and it’s with a heavy heart that we’ve made the call because there was a huge amount of enthusiasm for the idea.”
Clubs will be free to play friendlies when restrictions are lifted with some considering small local tournaments in April and May.
“It’s up to all our members to decide individually what they want to do,” said Inverdale. “Some will shut up shop and prepare and hope for a September start next season.
"Others would like to play matches to satisfy the demands of their players, who are desperate to get back on the pitch, and their supporters who have been starved of going to their club.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire