Ninth straight win opens up potential promotion push for Verulamians
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians opened the door for a potential promotion push after beating league leaders Kilburn Cosmos 20-13 on Saturday.
It was Vees’ ninth straight win in Herts/Middlesex 1 and puts them within five points of fourth-placed London Welsh Amateurs and eight off Kilburn. If they can keep up there run going, especially with games against two top three teams coming up, then a place in London 3NW could beckon next season.
Vees haven’t lost a game since October 18, a 10-6 reversal against Kilburn, and they had revenge on their minds early as full-back Ben Russell kicked them into a three-point lead after drawing the hosts offside. From the restart, Vees maintained their intense forward pressure and sent Josh Lawrence over.
Kilburn notched three points but Vees went into the half with all the momentum as Lawrence barged his way through the defence for this second try. A successful conversion gave Vees as 13-3 lead at the break.
Kilburn showed why they are top of the table when winger Andy Hutt chased down his own kick to score and then added the extras to haul his side within three points. A penalty immediately after the restart allowed Hutt to level the game.
You may also want to watch:
Needing a spark to swing the game back in their favour, the backs provided it as the wingers converged on the ball carrier and stopped a certain try with a dual tackle.
A reinvigorated Vees went back on the offensive and, from 35 metres out, George Irwin, with a rare run, hacked the ball forward, out-ran the covering defence and dotted down. Russell added the extras as Vees notched up their ninth win and gave themselves a glimmer of hope at promotion.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 9 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 10 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
They will, however, have to beat second-placed London Nigerians at Cotlandswick this Saturday, 2.15pm kick-off, and Old Actonians, in third, the following week to give themselves any chance.