Nicholson leaves the Saints after three games
- Credit: Archant
Jake Nicholson has played his last game for St Albans City, according to joint manager James Gray.
The former West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder joined the club at the end of February and made three appearances, all losses, against Wealdstone, Concord Rangers and Boreham Wood.
He agreed to play for free because the club had no money. It sounded too good to be true for City, and it was. The 22-year-old left the club this week.
Gray said: “The situation where he was playing for free became an issue because he was travelling from Surrey. We had to tell him that our position hadn’t changed; we have no money.”
Last week, they signed former Chesham United captain Simon Thomas, who made his debut on Saturday. The move, said Gray, was completely different.
“We moved some funds around to get Tommo but he was a player we desperately needed,” he said. “Jake did well but he’s similar to players we have. I wouldn’t expect to see him back. I’ll talk to him but he’s done at St Albans, for this season anyway.”
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time