Newman’s haul sees Blueboys into final four
- Credit: Archant
London Colney routed Cockfosters 7-1 on Tuesday night to reach the semi-final of the Dudley Latham Memorial Trophy Premier Division Cup.
Matt Newman led the way with four goals, the first of which came in the seventh minute when he linked up with Russell Gallagher before rounding the goalkeeper.
The duo combined again for the second goal, this time Gallagher getting the final touch to lob Adam McWeeney before Newman was back amongst the goals with a half-volley into the roof of the net.
Just before half-time Cockfosters pulled a goal back when Bilal Butt beat Charlie May to make the score 3-1.
After the restart, London Colney’s three-goal lead was quickly restored when Newman completed his hat-trick, driving home from the edge of the box after Jimmy Hartley’s forward run had stalled.
You may also want to watch:
The fifth goal saw Newman and Gallagher combine yet again as the front man netted his 23rd of the season.
Newman’s night may have finished when he was substituted for Jimmy Hill but the Blueboys were far from done.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Yasin Boodhoo headed in Gallagher’s free-kick before Hill marked his appearance with a thunderous drive past McWeeney.
This Saturday the Blueboys are away to Hatfield Town before they host Southall in the Challenge Cup on Tuesday evening.