Newman’s haul sees Blueboys into final four
- Credit: Archant
London Colney routed Cockfosters 7-1 on Tuesday night to reach the semi-final of the Dudley Latham Memorial Trophy Premier Division Cup.
Matt Newman led the way with four goals, the first of which came in the seventh minute when he linked up with Russell Gallagher before rounding the goalkeeper.
The duo combined again for the second goal, this time Gallagher getting the final touch to lob Adam McWeeney before Newman was back amongst the goals with a half-volley into the roof of the net.
Just before half-time Cockfosters pulled a goal back when Bilal Butt beat Charlie May to make the score 3-1.
After the restart, London Colney’s three-goal lead was quickly restored when Newman completed his hat-trick, driving home from the edge of the box after Jimmy Hartley’s forward run had stalled.
The fifth goal saw Newman and Gallagher combine yet again as the front man netted his 23rd of the season.
Newman’s night may have finished when he was substituted for Jimmy Hill but the Blueboys were far from done.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
Yasin Boodhoo headed in Gallagher’s free-kick before Hill marked his appearance with a thunderous drive past McWeeney.
This Saturday the Blueboys are away to Hatfield Town before they host Southall in the Challenge Cup on Tuesday evening.