Newman and Shaw set up Blueboys win
- Credit: Archant
A goal in each half proved enough for London Colney to take all three points in a 2-1 win at home to Hertford Town earlier this week.
Goals from Matt Newman and Greg Shaw gave the Blueboys a two goal cushion, before the away side pulled one back to ensure a nervy last ten minutes.
Hertford had the game’s first opening early on; Bradley Fraser’s header hitting the crossbar before Charlie May smothered the follow up.
Colney’s first chance of the night fell to Newman, who saw his shot blocked before Jimmy Harley was denied on the line by Tegana James.
Newman made no mistake with his second opportunity though, racing onto a Sean Ridgeway through-ball before rounding the Hertford ‘keeper and slotting home.
You may also want to watch:
The two sides continued to exchange blows, with the visitors going close through first Leigh Rose and then Fraser again, before Shaw saw a header tipped over the bar for the hosts.
Colney extended their lead just after the half-time break when Shaw latched onto a Ben Hammond cut-back before rifling the ball low into the corner.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden
As game wore on, Jimmy Hartley was proving to be the key man for the home side, making a number of dazzling runs down the left side, but Colney were unable to build on their advantage.
Sean Ruff then pulled a goal back for Hertford, driving home from 18 yards after a lapse in concentration from the host’s defence.
A nervy final 10 minutes ensued, but Colney hung on to claim all three points and climb up to seventh in the SSML Premier Division.
London Colney are in action tonight (Thursday) against London Lions at Cotlandswick, kick-off 7.45pm.