New U21 side to play in Floodlit League
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City has revealed its reserve side will play in the Capital League and the U21s will compete in the newly-formed South East Counties U21 Floodlit Youth League.
Both teams will be managed by Stuart Crawford who has re-joined the Club from Wingate & Finchley FC where he was development Manager. He will be assisted by Steve Elsey and Owen Southgate will be coach.
A club spokesman said: “It is anticipated that we will create a single squad to compete in both leagues, predominantly formed of younger players, thus providing regular midweek football for those looking to break into the first team squad.
“The over-riding philosophy is that all teams in the Club will be coached to play the same style of ‘ball-on-the-ground’ football that is favoured by the first team.”
The announcement is another step forward in the club’s ambition to find a nuture local talent. City have already brought Elliot Bailey, Matt Taylor, James Kaloczi and Joel Watson through the system but there is undoubtably more talented footballers to uncover.
You may also want to watch:
The Capital League will comprise Biggleswade Town, Dulwich Hamlet, Hayes & Yeading United, Walton & Hersham and Wealdstone.
The SE Counties U21 League will comprise Dunstable Town, Barton Rovers A, Barton Rovers B, Boreham Wood, Hemel Hempstead Town, Potters Bar Town and St Albans City.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 10 St Albans house prices hit record high
At the same time the club will be continuing its Sunday youth team in the Eastern Junior Alliance, which will be playing in the U18 age group Hertfordshire section as well as the FA Youth Cup