New U21 side to play in Floodlit League
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City has revealed its reserve side will play in the Capital League and the U21s will compete in the newly-formed South East Counties U21 Floodlit Youth League.
Both teams will be managed by Stuart Crawford who has re-joined the Club from Wingate & Finchley FC where he was development Manager. He will be assisted by Steve Elsey and Owen Southgate will be coach.
A club spokesman said: “It is anticipated that we will create a single squad to compete in both leagues, predominantly formed of younger players, thus providing regular midweek football for those looking to break into the first team squad.
“The over-riding philosophy is that all teams in the Club will be coached to play the same style of ‘ball-on-the-ground’ football that is favoured by the first team.”
The announcement is another step forward in the club’s ambition to find a nuture local talent. City have already brought Elliot Bailey, Matt Taylor, James Kaloczi and Joel Watson through the system but there is undoubtably more talented footballers to uncover.
The Capital League will comprise Biggleswade Town, Dulwich Hamlet, Hayes & Yeading United, Walton & Hersham and Wealdstone.
The SE Counties U21 League will comprise Dunstable Town, Barton Rovers A, Barton Rovers B, Boreham Wood, Hemel Hempstead Town, Potters Bar Town and St Albans City.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
At the same time the club will be continuing its Sunday youth team in the Eastern Junior Alliance, which will be playing in the U18 age group Hertfordshire section as well as the FA Youth Cup