New cycling racing team Verulam ReallyMoving.com ready to shine
- Credit: Archant
A successful cycling club in St Albans has launched its own racing team ahead of the new season.
Verulam Cycling Club held a launch event at The Barn in St Albans to unveil the Verulam ReallyMoving.com racing team.
The team is co-sponsored by VCC and the St Albans-based home-moving comparison site, reallymoving.com.
Support also comes from local beauty clinic Ellisix.
Twenty-five members of VCC have been invited to join, which is focused towards youth, but also includes a good mix of seniors, ladies and veteran (40+) riders.
The team will be guided by former professional rider, Marcel Six, who will be responsible for coaching, race preparation, team building, tactics and planning.
The team will race at various road races, closed circuit races, time trials and on the track within the Central Region and elsewhere in the UK.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 8 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 9 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
Verulam Cycling Club is in its 90th year and, with over 450 members.
Their youth development programme has been running for two years and the race team is a logical pathway to take the more talented riders through to cycle racing.
Chairman Doug Driscoll explained: “This is our way of putting something back into the sport and we will take great pride in having created the opportunity for talented riders in the area to get into cycle racing.”
Coach Six said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for many of the talented riders in Hertfordshire. There is a lot of training to be done and I look forward to helping them achieve their potential.”
Rob Houghton, founder and CEO of reallymoving.com states: “We have watched VCC grow and encourage young riders over the years so we are delighted to be supporting this next chapter for this exceptional club.”
Former head of Hertfordshire Cycling Jez Cox praised the decision to create the team.
He said: “Hertfordshire has a strong tradition of cycle racing and Verulam Cycling Club have for many years been one of the leading clubs in the area.
“I recognise many of the riders in the team having already seen them do well in local events; this team has great potential and I’m sure we’ll be seeing this team winning races very soon.”