Nelson hits huge points total but Oaklands Wolves downed in Copper Box
- Credit: Archant
Kyla Nelson celebrated her move to the University of Pittsburgh with a game-high points total of 33 but it wasn’t enough to prevent Oaklands Wolves slipping to a WBBL Trophy defeat inside the Copper Box.
With BBC cameras also in attendance at the iconic Olympic park venue, Nelson shone but it was Barking Abbey Crusaders who picked up the 82-74 win.
Imani Whittington was the Crusaders’ star, netting five triples in a 27-point haul and she was helped by a double-double from Savannah Wilkinson (18 points and 10 rebounds) and Tereza Brantlova weighing in with 17 points.
The Crusaders raced into an 8-0 start before Nelson fired in back-to-back three-pointers to get the Wolves going.
But a 12-0 run for Barking Abbey followed as they established a 15-point lead by the end of the first period.
Having scored all of her side’s points in the opening 10 minutes, Nelson continued to lead Oaklands and found scoring support from Ashton Fleming as her triple cut the gap to six points at 33-27.
Barking had stretched that to seven by half-time and they restored their double-digit cushion in the third when Whittington netted.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 8 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 9 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 10 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
Going into the final quarter Crusaders were 62-53 ahead but thanks to Nelson Oaklands closed the gap to just five going down the stretch.
A late three-pointer sealed the game for Crusaders.
Oaklands are next in action this Saturday when they go to Leicester Riders.