National Pub Sevens the toast of Harpenden
ON Sunday Harpenden Rugby Club host the 43rd National Pub Sevens Competition, an event which has recently showcased an England World Cup finalist. The tournament is sponsored by Bass and in previous years featured talented players such as JPR Williams,
ON Sunday Harpenden Rugby Club host the 43rd National Pub Sevens Competition, an event which has recently showcased an England World Cup finalist.
The tournament is sponsored by Bass and in previous years featured talented players such as JPR Williams, Gareth Edwards and Dan Luger MBE.
In 2006 England scrum half Andy Gomarsall MBE played in the event and just 12 months later was propelled to a key role in the England side as they reached the 2007 Rugby World Cup Final.
The achievement of playing in the final marked a remarkable comeback for Gomarsall, who had appeared for Camberley team the White Hart Marauders at the Harpenden Pub Sevens.
You may also want to watch:
The local pubs in Harpenden and St Albans sponsor teams to challenge the Army, Young England and Samurai squads.
Harpenden took on St Mary's College last night at home and on Sunday, September 7, play against the Colts who are the highly successful Harpenden Under 17s.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district
The price for entry to the tournament on the day is £4 and there is a hog-roast, barbecue and Red Bull will also be there. The action takes place Harpenden Rugby Football Club, Redbourn Lane, Harpenden, Herts AL5 2BA. See the club website www.hrfc.com for more details.