Murphy scores but PSV are defeated
Herts Senior County League Premier Division Standon & Puckeridge 2 Park Street Village 1 ANDY Murphy scored but injury-hit Park Street Village were struck down at Standon & Puckeridge on Saturday. PSV were under siege from the off as Standon knocked
Herts Senior County League Premier Division
Standon & Puckeridge 2 Park Street Village 1
ANDY Murphy scored but injury-hit Park Street Village were struck down at Standon & Puckeridge on Saturday.
PSV were under siege from the off as Standon knocked the ball around well. Defender Ricky Petts had to go off injured and Lee Woodruff, returning from injury, replaced him.
Standon added to the problems with the opening goal before Ant Burns then had to leave the field with a recurring ankle injury.
In the second half, Damon Wright was forced off with a torn calf muscle and assistant boss Gary Ross, aged 39, had to come on.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
PSV battled on and Murphy burst clear to smack home an equaliser but Standon responded immediately, winning a penalty after a foul by Dave Ross, to go 2-1 up. PSV boss Thompson said: "Gary Ross came on having done no fitness work for two years and we were completely disjointed but we got the goal back. Andy Murphy did what he does and lamped it in the back of the net. Dave Ross then gave a penalty away and it was a penalty."
At 2-1 down, PSV switched to a 2-4-4 formation as they went all out attack and Murphy was denied by the goalkeeper who also reacted smartly to tip over a long clearance from PSV 'keeper Tony Kerby.
The equaliser eluded PSV and Thompson is hoping for a change of fortune when they go to Knebworth on Saturday. He said: "Dean Thompson will come in for Damon Wright at the back and Gary Warn is coming back. Pete Hanson hopefully might be able to make an appearance after nearly five weeks out. We can't get any momentum together but hopefully we are due a change in fortune. It is the injuries during games that are disrupting us.