Murphy scores but PSV are defeated
Herts Senior County League Premier Division Standon & Puckeridge 2 Park Street Village 1 ANDY Murphy scored but injury-hit Park Street Village were struck down at Standon & Puckeridge on Saturday. PSV were under siege from the off as Standon knocked
Herts Senior County League Premier Division
Standon & Puckeridge 2 Park Street Village 1
ANDY Murphy scored but injury-hit Park Street Village were struck down at Standon & Puckeridge on Saturday.
PSV were under siege from the off as Standon knocked the ball around well. Defender Ricky Petts had to go off injured and Lee Woodruff, returning from injury, replaced him.
You may also want to watch:
Standon added to the problems with the opening goal before Ant Burns then had to leave the field with a recurring ankle injury.
In the second half, Damon Wright was forced off with a torn calf muscle and assistant boss Gary Ross, aged 39, had to come on.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
PSV battled on and Murphy burst clear to smack home an equaliser but Standon responded immediately, winning a penalty after a foul by Dave Ross, to go 2-1 up. PSV boss Thompson said: "Gary Ross came on having done no fitness work for two years and we were completely disjointed but we got the goal back. Andy Murphy did what he does and lamped it in the back of the net. Dave Ross then gave a penalty away and it was a penalty."
At 2-1 down, PSV switched to a 2-4-4 formation as they went all out attack and Murphy was denied by the goalkeeper who also reacted smartly to tip over a long clearance from PSV 'keeper Tony Kerby.
The equaliser eluded PSV and Thompson is hoping for a change of fortune when they go to Knebworth on Saturday. He said: "Dean Thompson will come in for Damon Wright at the back and Gary Warn is coming back. Pete Hanson hopefully might be able to make an appearance after nearly five weeks out. We can't get any momentum together but hopefully we are due a change in fortune. It is the injuries during games that are disrupting us.