Motorsport: Morris takes first win at Silverstone
- Credit: Archant
Caterham Academy racing driver Seb Morris got his Formula Renault 2.0 Northern European Cup (NEC) title charge back on track with a lights to flag victory at Silverstone.
After a problematic opening two rounds in Monza, the St Albans-based driver barged his way into the top three following his first win of the season in round four. He was 14th in round three.
Speaking to his official website, the 18-year-old said: “We’ve had so much bad luck so far this year, I’m so pleased it’s turned today – it’s absolutely fantastic to get the win.
“The season starts now for us, even with a bad first few races we can still go on from here and challenge for the championship. We’re definitely back in contention, we just need to focus now and get the most from the car.”
Qualifying on pole position for the second of the weekend’s two encounters by 0.4 seconds, after conquering the tricky wet conditions which blighted the first couple of days, Morris controlled the race from the front despite intense pressure.
You may also want to watch:
Making a good launch, he darted across to the right-hand side of the track to defend the inside line from Fortec Motorsport team-mate Ben Barnicoat and went on to build an advantage of 1.4 seconds by the start of lap five.
Although Callan O’Keeffe closed in during the second half of the race, Morris didn’t put a wheel wrong and was able to pick the lines he wanted while keeping the South African at arm’s length.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
In the wet third round on Saturday an unfortunate spin at mid-distance while dicing for position prevented what looked set to be a potential top six finish – although 14th position still delivered some important points for the championship standings.
Next on the 2014 Formula Renault 2.0 Northern European Cup schedule is a visit to Hockenheim in Germany over the weekend June 14-15.