Morrissey and Clements send London Colney to Christmas number one
- Credit: Archant
Jon Clements scored twice and Ashley Morrissey once as London Colney came from behind to beat Holmer Green 3-1 in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
The win keeps the Blueboys at the top of the table, still five points clear of Hertford Town who also won.
It didn’t start very well though and they were a goal down in 54 seconds.
Curtis Stone floated in a free-kick and a completely unmarked Greg Deer headed beyond Tom Gowans.
It was enough to wake the visitors up and after Tom Silford had shot wide at the far post, Morrissey chipped over Sam Butcher for the equaliser.
They continued to press and were rewarded when a flick on by Greg Shaw was slammed home at the second attempt by Clements.
Shaw himself went close to adding a third but his shot flashed just wide of the far post after yet another good build up by the Blueboys.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 8 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
Holmer Green responded in the second half and Gowans had to pull off a smart save low to his left.
But Colney were not to be denied and after Jack Woods had a shot tipped round the post by Butcher, Clements drilled home from close range after a pull back by Dave Parkinson.
Parkinson almost added a fourth goal late on but he saw his curling free kick from 25 yards out go just past the post.
A trip to Crawley Green is next on Wednesday before they host rivals Colney Heath on December 27 at 3pm.