Morrissey and Clements send London Colney to Christmas number one
- Credit: Archant
Jon Clements scored twice and Ashley Morrissey once as London Colney came from behind to beat Holmer Green 3-1 in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
The win keeps the Blueboys at the top of the table, still five points clear of Hertford Town who also won.
It didn’t start very well though and they were a goal down in 54 seconds.
Curtis Stone floated in a free-kick and a completely unmarked Greg Deer headed beyond Tom Gowans.
It was enough to wake the visitors up and after Tom Silford had shot wide at the far post, Morrissey chipped over Sam Butcher for the equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
They continued to press and were rewarded when a flick on by Greg Shaw was slammed home at the second attempt by Clements.
Shaw himself went close to adding a third but his shot flashed just wide of the far post after yet another good build up by the Blueboys.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 7 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
Holmer Green responded in the second half and Gowans had to pull off a smart save low to his left.
But Colney were not to be denied and after Jack Woods had a shot tipped round the post by Butcher, Clements drilled home from close range after a pull back by Dave Parkinson.
Parkinson almost added a fourth goal late on but he saw his curling free kick from 25 yards out go just past the post.
A trip to Crawley Green is next on Wednesday before they host rivals Colney Heath on December 27 at 3pm.