More to come from Great Britain says St Albans’ Hannah Macleod
- Credit: Fieldhockey.fr
St Albans Hockey Club’s Hannah Macleod thinks Great Britain have plenty more to give after a 2-2 draw in their opening Hockey Champions Trophy game against Argentina.
Two goals from Helen Richardson-Walsh gained Britain a point after twice going behind to the defending champions at the Lee Valley Hockey Centre.
The first of those goals came after just seven minutes, a point which Macleod was disappointed with.
She said: “We were slow to get going and that was disappointing. But the other three quarters were much more like us.
“We are normally quite quick out of the blocks so I don’t know why we were like that. Perhaps it’s nerves coming back here.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s good to get a point out of it after going behind twice.
“It shows awesome character which we know we’ve got as a team but it gives us a foothold in the tournament.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
“Argentina are number two in the world and they are a good team.
“But it’s certainly good to have the run of the park for three quarters and w need to do that for four tomorrow.”
Tomorrow (Sunday) sees GB face Olympic champions the Netherlands with the quick turnaround just part and parcel of tournament hockey.
“We’ll recover well,” said Macleod. “We’ve got processes in places and we’re a fit team.
“And we certainly didn’t put everything out there today. I would say that’s probably third gear.
“But top gear is certainly within us so we’re looking forward to tomorrow.”