Mixed fortunes for Lewis
TOM LEWIS had mixed fortunes as he took his place in the England team which lost to Ireland in the Boys Home Internationals at Royal County Down. The Welwyn Garden City teenager started well as England beat Wales in the opening match 8.-6.,
TOM LEWIS had mixed fortunes as he took his place in the England team which lost to Ireland in the Boys Home Internationals at Royal County Down.
The Welwyn Garden City teenager started well as England beat Wales in the opening match 81/2-61/2, halving his foursomes and winning his singles by one hole. England then beat Scotland 10-5, Lewis and captain Tommy Fleetwood halving their foursomes, but Lewis losing his singles 2&1.
With the title depending on the final match between England and Ireland, both level after two victories each, the Irish won the foursomes 31/2-11/2, but England fought back, the title depending on the last match which Ireland won for an overall 8-7 victory. Lewis and Fleetwood lost their foursomes 3&1 and Lewis lost his singles 2&1.
Wales took third place and Scotland the wooden spoon.
Tom moved on to the British Boys Championship at Little Aston, Birmingham, which started on Monday. He won his first round match against a German opponent 5&3, but went out in the second round to a Scots opponent 2&1.
Of other Herts entrants, Harpenden Common's Sam Claridge won 3&2 and Tom Brown by one hole in the first round, with the second round to be played.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead