Mitchell wonder goal but Colney suffer controversial defeat
Molten Spartan South Midlands Division One London Colney 1 Royston Town 2 LONDON Colney entertained unbeaten Royston Town on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One. Forwards Danny Fitzgerald, Jermaine Davey and Cain Davey
Molten Spartan South Midlands Division One
London Colney 1 Royston Town 2
LONDON Colney entertained unbeaten Royston Town on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
Forwards Danny Fitzgerald, Jermaine Davey and Cain Davey all went close for London Colney early on.
Goalkeeper Anthony Ladyman made a fine save at full extension to keep Royston out before Greg Shaw headed just over the bar from a Fitzgerald free kick at the other end.
In the second half Ladyman made a couple of good saves while Jermaine Davey and Fitzgerald forced Jordan Gibson to do the same at the other end.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Gibson made a spectacular save to parry an excellent free kick from John Beschizza and also pushed away an in-swinging corner from the same player.
Danny McCafferty was denied by Gibson before Colney finally broke the deadlock in the 75th minute. Shaw played the ball over the Royston defence and Sam Mitchell sprinted clear to thunder a venomous shot into the net sparking jubilant celebrations.
Six minutes later Ross Collins head home a soft equaliser for Royston Town before a very dubious penalty settled the contest. Referee Mr D. Clement awarded a free kick outside the box and with his assistant flagging for a Colney substitution went over to engage in discussion. Colney prepared their change only for the referee to point to the penalty spot and Luke Robins gleefully fired in the winning goal.
London Colney: Ladyman, Benning, McCafferty (Humbert), Gorrell, Dickie, Beschizza, C. Davey (Mitchell), Shaw, Fitzgerald, J. Davey, Corran. Unused subs: Murphy, R. Gallagher, Butcher, Edwards.