Milestones keep coming as Verulam ReallyMoving claim first one-two finish at MK
- Credit: Archant
The milestones keep coming for the fledgling Verulam ReallyMoving cycling team – with the squad claiming their first one-two on Sunday.
The squad were only formed over the winter as a way of riders from the St Albans-based Verulam Cycling Club to improve their standings in races.
And it is paying dividends with Clay Davies placing first in the Milton Keynes Central League road race, one position ahead of team-mate James Hedley-Smith.
Davies said: “The pace was going up and down all day; from very fast to very slow.
“At one point we were doing just 16mph on the flat, that slow.
You may also want to watch:
“There was one climb on the circuit and at the bottom of the climb on the last lap, about four miles from the finish, I went for it with James behind me.
“One Watford Velo Sport rider, Jamie Wimborne, joined us and we did a full-bore effort all the way to about 200 yards from the finish.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Wimborne popped almost immediately in the sprint and I went for the win, with James just behind.”
This result follows wins in recent weeks for both up-and-coming 18-year-old racer Luke Houghton, and the team’s directeur sportif [manager], Marcel Six.
Verulam Cycling Club’s chairman, Doug Driscoll, was delighted with the result.
He said: “When we founded this team just six months ago, ourselves at Verulam CC and the other St Albans-based sponsors Reallymoving.com and Ellisix Beauty Salon, all had confidence that we would steadily start to achieve respectable results in 2017.
“However, the fact that we have established ourselves as a real force to be reckoned with in the local bike racing scene in such a short period of time is a fantastic testimony to the dedication, training and hard work of both the tight-knit team we’ve created and their coach.”