Milestones keep coming as Verulam ReallyMoving claim first one-two finish at MK
- Credit: Archant
The milestones keep coming for the fledgling Verulam ReallyMoving cycling team – with the squad claiming their first one-two on Sunday.
The squad were only formed over the winter as a way of riders from the St Albans-based Verulam Cycling Club to improve their standings in races.
And it is paying dividends with Clay Davies placing first in the Milton Keynes Central League road race, one position ahead of team-mate James Hedley-Smith.
Davies said: “The pace was going up and down all day; from very fast to very slow.
“At one point we were doing just 16mph on the flat, that slow.
You may also want to watch:
“There was one climb on the circuit and at the bottom of the climb on the last lap, about four miles from the finish, I went for it with James behind me.
“One Watford Velo Sport rider, Jamie Wimborne, joined us and we did a full-bore effort all the way to about 200 yards from the finish.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Wimborne popped almost immediately in the sprint and I went for the win, with James just behind.”
This result follows wins in recent weeks for both up-and-coming 18-year-old racer Luke Houghton, and the team’s directeur sportif [manager], Marcel Six.
Verulam Cycling Club’s chairman, Doug Driscoll, was delighted with the result.
He said: “When we founded this team just six months ago, ourselves at Verulam CC and the other St Albans-based sponsors Reallymoving.com and Ellisix Beauty Salon, all had confidence that we would steadily start to achieve respectable results in 2017.
“However, the fact that we have established ourselves as a real force to be reckoned with in the local bike racing scene in such a short period of time is a fantastic testimony to the dedication, training and hard work of both the tight-knit team we’ve created and their coach.”