Midweek Youth suffer at hands of Harefield United
ST ALBANS CITY’S Midweek Youth were the victims of a well-drilled Harefield United smash and grab raid which saw the home team go down 4-2.
Still smarting from their exit in the FA Youth Cup, the young Saints were hoping to bounce back in their first home Premier Division fixture of the season.
Harefield reacted better to the wet conditions, latching onto a misdirected back pass to score the opener after five minutes.
An equaliser came in the 35th minute as Elliot Bailey hit a 30 yard belter into the top corner.
The equality was short lived as a counter-attack led to Harefield regaining the lead with the score 2-1 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Only three minutes after the restart what little luck City had deserted them as keeper Warren Bell’s clearance was blocked and rebounded into the net. The visitors grabbed a fourth, with only their third shot of the night, when a three-on-one breakaway saw centre-back Laurence Wroe by-passed and Bell lobbed.
In the dying minutes Bailey added a second from Matt Taylor’s pull-back making the final score 4-2. A late collision saw Bell stretchered off as City fell to defeat.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 7 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
It was an overall disappointment for City as they came across a clinical counter-attacking side who scored four goals from just three shots, and a corner count 13-3 in the home team’s favour.
The young Saints will hope for better luck in their next match at Uxbridge in the Allied Counties Challenge Cup on October 17.
City: Bell, Scott, Shanley, Kaloczi, Wroe, Carr, McNamara, McCarthy, Bailey, Taylor, Humphrey.
Subs: Eisa (46 min for Humphrey), Henderson (46 mins for Shanely), Diabata (60 mins for MCarthy).