Merson signs deal to stay at St Albans City
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s FA Cup hero Sam Merson has signed an 18-month contract to stay at Clarence Park.
And the Saints have also announced that former-Stevenage full-back George Casey has agreed terms to remain at the club for the rest of the season.
Merson fired the only goal of the game against Egham Town to propel City to a first round proper clash at home to Sky Bet League Two side Carlisle United.
It was the fifth goal in three games for the forward, who is rapidly becoming a fans favourite.
Manager Ian Allinson was delighted to have completed the deal and is looking forward to seeing Merson’s progression at the club.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Sam has been great for us over the past few weeks and it’s been a natural development as with any new player coming into the side for the first time.
“His work-rate is very high and he can offer something different to the other strikers we have at the club.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
“His performances of late have shown us that he will be a real asset to the team as we continue throughout the season.
“He’s keen to learn and loves his football. For him to sign the new deal just emphasises the level of commitment he’s prepared to invest in St Albans City.
“He’s a great lad and we’re delighted he’s pledged his immediate future to the club.”
Casey joined City in August after being released in the summer by Stevenage.
He made his debut in a faultless display in the 1-0 victory over Welling United at Park View Road and has gone on to make nine appearances so far this season.