Merson signs deal to stay at St Albans City
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s FA Cup hero Sam Merson has signed an 18-month contract to stay at Clarence Park.
And the Saints have also announced that former-Stevenage full-back George Casey has agreed terms to remain at the club for the rest of the season.
Merson fired the only goal of the game against Egham Town to propel City to a first round proper clash at home to Sky Bet League Two side Carlisle United.
It was the fifth goal in three games for the forward, who is rapidly becoming a fans favourite.
Manager Ian Allinson was delighted to have completed the deal and is looking forward to seeing Merson’s progression at the club.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Sam has been great for us over the past few weeks and it’s been a natural development as with any new player coming into the side for the first time.
“His work-rate is very high and he can offer something different to the other strikers we have at the club.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
“His performances of late have shown us that he will be a real asset to the team as we continue throughout the season.
“He’s keen to learn and loves his football. For him to sign the new deal just emphasises the level of commitment he’s prepared to invest in St Albans City.
“He’s a great lad and we’re delighted he’s pledged his immediate future to the club.”
Casey joined City in August after being released in the summer by Stevenage.
He made his debut in a faultless display in the 1-0 victory over Welling United at Park View Road and has gone on to make nine appearances so far this season.