Merson pounces for first City goal as St Albans are held by Biggleswade
- Credit: Archant
Sam Merson grabbed his first goal in a St Albans shirt – but the Saints are still looking for a pre-season success after a 1-1 draw with Biggleswade Town.
Merson pounced on 74 minutes, turning in a Shaun Lucien cross, in Saints fourth outing before the league season starts on August 6.
His goal cancelled out a fabulous effort from Chris Marsh just after the hour which had gave Southern League Premier Division Biggleswade a surprise lead.
Merson had the best chance to find a winner but his prod towards goal, from a Matt Ball pull-back seven minutes from time, went the wrong-side of the post.
A draw was probably the fairest result with neither side managing to create enough quality to threaten the goal with regularity.
You may also want to watch:
Both teams gave it a good go mind; the evening heat at Langford Lane certainly didn’t stop plenty of endeavour.
James Russell made a couple of good stops in the City goal, although he will no doubt be a little disappointed with the one that beat him.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
Andrew Iwediuno continued to impress in the heart of the defence and at left back while Lucien, Merson and Rhys Hoenes again look capable of causing defences problems with their direct running.
Saints looked their most fluent in the second period when Merson came into more of a central role and Junior Morias drifted to the left side of a front three, Lucien the man on the right.
That brought the goal and the late chance but City will be expecting to kick on when they entertain Vanarama National League side Boreham Wood on Saturday.