Mean Leicester Riders take points off Oaklands Wolves
- Credit: Archant
Leicester Riders showed why they have the best defence in the league as they defeated Oaklands Wolves 66-41 in the Women’s British Basketball League.
The Wolfpack more than matched their more-experienced opponents for vast swathes of this game but a 19-3 fourth quarter took the game away from them.
Riders went into the game top of the table with Wolves at the bottom but that didn’t show as the St Albans side raced into the lead and finished the first quarter tied at 14-14.
A 14-2 charge midway through the seocnd quarter opened the gap although Oaklands were still within six at the half.
But the much-vaunted Riders defence came to the fore in the second half, restricting Wolves to just 15 points in those 20 minutes.
Kata Fulop and kyla Nelson both scored 10 points for Wolves with Amber Charles chipping in with seven.
The teams meet again in Leicester on Saturday in the WBBL Cup quarter-finals before Wolves head home to take on Sevenoaks Suns on Sunday.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report