McKenna handed start in Super Series opener
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden’s Sarah McKenna has been handed a start by Simon Middleton, the England Women’s head coach, for Saturday’s Rugby Super Series opener against the USA.
The full-back had been on national sevens duty last month but has been called up for the first XV’s Super Series tour.
Middleton, who heads to Canada alongside Scott Bemand and Matt Ferguson in a new coaching line-up, said: “Given the tight turnaround of games in this tournament, and the fact that several of the players were involved in the Rugby Europe Sevens Grand Prix this month, squad rotation is going to be key.
“This is a really intense tournament against world class opposition so we need to ensure the players are fit and ready for each Test.
“For this game, Sarah Hunter’s experience will be invaluable in leading the team while I am really excited to see how Emily Scott goes at fly-half with Ceri Large at centre.
You may also want to watch:
“We have two new caps on the bench who I know have the potential to make a real impression while Rochelle Clark will relish getting the chance to secure 101 caps.
“We haven’t played the USA for some time but we know they will bring a lot of physicality, pace, energy and enthusiasm. This is going to be a tough opening Test match.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans