McClelland and London Colney continue excellent early season form in Edgware win
- Credit: Archant
Archie McClelland smashed four goals as both his and London Colney’s excellent start to the season continued with a 6-0 demolition of Edgware Town at Cotlandswick.
It took the young strikers’ personal goal tally to 15 in all competitions and kept the Blueboys seven points clear at the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
The match took a bit of time to get going but both keepers were tested in the opening quarter.
It took until the 27th minute for the Edgware defence to be breached.
McClelland was sent sprawling in the box and Greg Shaw converted the resulting penalty.
You may also want to watch:
It soon became 2-0 when McClelland raced clear again and slotted low beyond Cain Davies.
McClelland was a whisker away from making it three early in the second half but it was only a brief respite for the visitors.
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Tom Silford was the man who got it, his first for the club, reacting quickest after McClelland’s initial effort had been saved.
The fourth arrived in the 64th minute Sam Robins and Dan Power combined well to set up McClelland and he completed his hat-trick with 11 minutes to go, tapping in a Jon Clement’s shot.
The Blueboys top scorer wasn’t finished though and he netted a fourth late on with another tap in.
Surprisingly London Colney will be in action tomorrow night (Tuesday).
It was widely expected that the game against Hadley at Cotlandswick would be called off after Micky Hazard’s men earned a replay on Wednesday against Vanarama National League South Eastbourne Borough in the FA Cup.
But for the moment the match remains on with a 7.45pm kick-off.