McCafferty sets up own goal reprieve for Blueboys to take draw
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Winslow United 1 London Colney 1 A LATE own goal ensured London Colney picked up a point at Winslow United on Saturday in Division One. Winslow started the day in the top five and Colney were not at their
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Winslow United 1 London Colney 1
A LATE own goal ensured London Colney picked up a point at Winslow United on Saturday in Division One.
Winslow started the day in the top five and Colney were not at their best in the first half as they struggled to recapture the form shown in their previous two outings.
Long throw specialist Steve Garbutt caused Colney problems and defenders Josh Humbert and Tom Dickie had to make crucial clearances. Goalkeeper Alistair Hill also had to come out to make a clean catch.
At the other end a challenge from Humbert on Winslow goalkeeper Sam Wiltshire was ruled to be illegal by the officials.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
Phil Martin saw his snap shot sail over the bar for the home side and Richard Shirley struck a shot just wide.
Cain Davey arrowed a shot over the cross bar for Colney after good work from Lee Benning and Gary Simmonds.
Hill made a great double save when he flicked a stunning drive from Alex Woodfine onto the cross bar and then blocked the rebound effort from Martin.
The Colney defence was finally breached when Luke Bitmead found Chris Hill who turned and drove the ball home for the opening goal.
In the second half Colney replaced Cain Davey and Greg Shaw with John Beschizza and new signing Dean Barker. Suddenly the Blueboys found their movement but they had to be alert to deny Winslow a second. Goalkeeper Hill denied his namesake Chris Hill and Danny McCafferty blocked the follow-up effort on the line.
With Russell Gallagher lively on the flanks, Colney sparked into life and Danslow, Humbert and Simmonds all went close to scoring.
Dave Corran replaced Benning as the Blueboys continued to press and finally the goal arrived. McCafferty delivered a good free kick into the box and Winslow number eight Paul Talbot saw his header beat his own goalkeeper.
Both teams pressed for the winner with Danslow and Gallagher going close for Colney and Hill saving from Chris Hill at the other end.
London Colney: Hill, Benning (Corran), Paradise, McCafferty, Dickie, Humbert, C. Davey (Beschizza), Simmonds, Danslow, Shaw (Barker), Gallagher. Unused sub: Seabrook.
London Colney reserves were beaten 11-0 by Reserve Division One league leaders Oxhey Jets on Saturday. The Blueboys were 4-0 down at the break before rampant Oxhey indulged in a scoring spree during the second period.