Matt Newman scores his 99th goal for London Colney in win over Jets
London Colney extended their unbeaten run in the SSML Premier Division to four games with a 3-1 win over Oxhey Jets on Saturday.
The win catapulted Ryan Thompson’s side to seventh in the league, their highest position this term.
Against an inexperience Jets side fielding six academy players, the Blueboys probed early with Martin Collins, Matt Newman and Spencer Clarke-Mardel all coming close.
They were made to wait until the 33rd minute to finally break the deadlock. Jets’ goalkeeper Will Baker made a double save but the rebound found Greg Shaw who hit the net from 10 yards.
The lead was short-lived, though, as Adam Lowton fired past Charlie May to draw Oxhey level but the scores were not level for long. Matt Newman volley his Colney’s second of the game and 99th for the club.
You may also want to watch:
He turned provider in the second half, setting up Russell Gallagher to make the score 3-1 to London Colney.
Both teams pressed forward in the latter stages of the game but the score remained the same and Colney notched up their seventh win of the campaign.
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
London Colney Reserves beat Holmer Green Reserves 5-0 with a hat-trick from Callum Wright plus singles from Simon Beazley and Adam Halford. London Colney Blue went down 3-2 at Vicarage Celtic; Eamon Rogers scored.