Matt Newman scores his 99th goal for London Colney in win over Jets
London Colney extended their unbeaten run in the SSML Premier Division to four games with a 3-1 win over Oxhey Jets on Saturday.
The win catapulted Ryan Thompson’s side to seventh in the league, their highest position this term.
Against an inexperience Jets side fielding six academy players, the Blueboys probed early with Martin Collins, Matt Newman and Spencer Clarke-Mardel all coming close.
They were made to wait until the 33rd minute to finally break the deadlock. Jets’ goalkeeper Will Baker made a double save but the rebound found Greg Shaw who hit the net from 10 yards.
The lead was short-lived, though, as Adam Lowton fired past Charlie May to draw Oxhey level but the scores were not level for long. Matt Newman volley his Colney’s second of the game and 99th for the club.
He turned provider in the second half, setting up Russell Gallagher to make the score 3-1 to London Colney.
Both teams pressed forward in the latter stages of the game but the score remained the same and Colney notched up their seventh win of the campaign.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
London Colney Reserves beat Holmer Green Reserves 5-0 with a hat-trick from Callum Wright plus singles from Simon Beazley and Adam Halford. London Colney Blue went down 3-2 at Vicarage Celtic; Eamon Rogers scored.