Masters win again
SWIMMERS from St Albans were in impressive form at the Herts ASA Masters Championship meet on Saturday. St Alban s Masters Swimming Club (STAMSC) won the McMullen Masters Club Trophy emphatically, for the third year in succession at Borehamwood
SWIMMERS from St Albans were in impressive form at the Herts ASA Masters Championship meet on Saturday.
St Alban's Masters Swimming Club (STAMSC) won the McMullen Masters Club Trophy emphatically, for the third year in succession at Borehamwood with 553 points, ahead of second-placed Hartham with 358 points, and third-placed Hatfield with 207 points.
The 35 swimmers from STAMSC dominated, collecting a total of 18 individual gold medals, 24 silver and 36 bronze. Strong performances came from Jo Lee-Pearce with three golds, one silver and one bronze, and Janet Gardiner with two golds and two silver, and for the men Craig Kirkland with five golds as well as breaking two championship records in the 50m fly and 50m freestyle.
Other Gold medallists for the women were Heather Edwards and Belinda McGinley, and for the men Daniel Asplund, Kevin Brammer, Duncan Beveridge, Craig Muckleston and Martin Scott. The relay results are not included, but will be on the STAMSC website as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
STAM's chairman Richard Sumner was delighted with the club's performance. He said: "Thank you to everyone who competed or helped, we had a tremendous team of swimmers who supported each other solidly throughout the whole competition. A huge thank you also to our coach Josie Hoare, her commitment to our sessions and confidence in our abilities encouraged us all to perform at our best."
With a growing membership of over 80, the club aims to attract swimmers of all ages and ability who want to swim to maintain fitness and, if they wish to, can compete in a number of annual competitive events. See the website at www.stamsc.co.uk for more information about St Albans Masters swimming club.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared