Martin smitten with new partner Gayle
- Credit: Archant
Ian Gayle has only played three games but Ben Martin has seen enough to know he wants his new centre-back partner to stick around.
The 22-year-old joined St Albans City on a one-month from Dagenham and Redbridge loan on Friday, November 14. In three games he has helped the Saints to two clean sheets, against Basingstoke and Havant and Waterlooville, while partnering Martin at the heart of the defence.
Martin, for one, is sold on Gayle.
“I’ve been very impressed. In three games with us he’s been our best player. It’s no coincidence that he’s come in and we’ve got two clean sheets in three games,” he said.
“He’s still young and has things to learn but he’s got everything to play in the league – he’s quick, he’s strong, he reads the game, he’s got good positioning and he’s a great talker.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a coup for us to have him and hopefully we can extend his loan deal.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020