Martin smitten with new partner Gayle
- Credit: Archant
Ian Gayle has only played three games but Ben Martin has seen enough to know he wants his new centre-back partner to stick around.
The 22-year-old joined St Albans City on a one-month from Dagenham and Redbridge loan on Friday, November 14. In three games he has helped the Saints to two clean sheets, against Basingstoke and Havant and Waterlooville, while partnering Martin at the heart of the defence.
Martin, for one, is sold on Gayle.
“I’ve been very impressed. In three games with us he’s been our best player. It’s no coincidence that he’s come in and we’ve got two clean sheets in three games,” he said.
“He’s still young and has things to learn but he’s got everything to play in the league – he’s quick, he’s strong, he reads the game, he’s got good positioning and he’s a great talker.
“It’s a coup for us to have him and hopefully we can extend his loan deal.”
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire