Martin smitten with new partner Gayle
- Credit: Archant
Ian Gayle has only played three games but Ben Martin has seen enough to know he wants his new centre-back partner to stick around.
The 22-year-old joined St Albans City on a one-month from Dagenham and Redbridge loan on Friday, November 14. In three games he has helped the Saints to two clean sheets, against Basingstoke and Havant and Waterlooville, while partnering Martin at the heart of the defence.
Martin, for one, is sold on Gayle.
“I’ve been very impressed. In three games with us he’s been our best player. It’s no coincidence that he’s come in and we’ve got two clean sheets in three games,” he said.
“He’s still young and has things to learn but he’s got everything to play in the league – he’s quick, he’s strong, he reads the game, he’s got good positioning and he’s a great talker.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a coup for us to have him and hopefully we can extend his loan deal.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development