Marshalswick Judo Club opens new mats
A NEW area of mats at Marshalswick Judo Club has been opened by the mayor, Cllr Annie Brewster.
The mats and new equipment was paid for by a £8,810 grant from Sport England with the aim to improve links between Sport England’s link clubs at the University of Hertfordshire and Oaklands College, and increase participation.
Cllr Brewster also presented a cheque for £652 to Jonny Light, a student of MJC, to donate to Addenbrooke’s Hospital’s oncology and paediatric wing, where he is having treatment
The club raised this money with the help of students and parents participating in the 1.5K fun run. Light and his sister, Georgia, led the club’s runners at the start of the race.
The mayor even tried her hand at the sports, joining in with a demonstration of throws.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Doug Seabrook said: “What a brilliant mayor we have, giving up her time to do the honours of opening our new judo mats and presenting the cheque to Jonny Light.
“Our very young student thought it was great to have our very own queen visit us.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
He added “We would to extend our thanks to Cllr Brewster for attending our club and spending time talking to the students and parents with her inspirational words.”
Also in attendance was the BJA service manager Andrew Willsmith.