Marshalswick Judo Club opens new mats
A NEW area of mats at Marshalswick Judo Club has been opened by the mayor, Cllr Annie Brewster.
The mats and new equipment was paid for by a £8,810 grant from Sport England with the aim to improve links between Sport England’s link clubs at the University of Hertfordshire and Oaklands College, and increase participation.
Cllr Brewster also presented a cheque for £652 to Jonny Light, a student of MJC, to donate to Addenbrooke’s Hospital’s oncology and paediatric wing, where he is having treatment
The club raised this money with the help of students and parents participating in the 1.5K fun run. Light and his sister, Georgia, led the club’s runners at the start of the race.
The mayor even tried her hand at the sports, joining in with a demonstration of throws.
Head coach Doug Seabrook said: “What a brilliant mayor we have, giving up her time to do the honours of opening our new judo mats and presenting the cheque to Jonny Light.
“Our very young student thought it was great to have our very own queen visit us.”
- 1 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 2 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 3 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 9 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
He added “We would to extend our thanks to Cllr Brewster for attending our club and spending time talking to the students and parents with her inspirational words.”
Also in attendance was the BJA service manager Andrew Willsmith.