Marshalswick Judo Club opens new mats
A NEW area of mats at Marshalswick Judo Club has been opened by the mayor, Cllr Annie Brewster.
The mats and new equipment was paid for by a £8,810 grant from Sport England with the aim to improve links between Sport England’s link clubs at the University of Hertfordshire and Oaklands College, and increase participation.
Cllr Brewster also presented a cheque for £652 to Jonny Light, a student of MJC, to donate to Addenbrooke’s Hospital’s oncology and paediatric wing, where he is having treatment
The club raised this money with the help of students and parents participating in the 1.5K fun run. Light and his sister, Georgia, led the club’s runners at the start of the race.
The mayor even tried her hand at the sports, joining in with a demonstration of throws.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Doug Seabrook said: “What a brilliant mayor we have, giving up her time to do the honours of opening our new judo mats and presenting the cheque to Jonny Light.
“Our very young student thought it was great to have our very own queen visit us.”
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
He added “We would to extend our thanks to Cllr Brewster for attending our club and spending time talking to the students and parents with her inspirational words.”
Also in attendance was the BJA service manager Andrew Willsmith.