Manager criticises striker for missing FA Cup tie
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City manager James Gray has criticised John Frendo for missing Saturday’s FA Cup loss to Concord Rangers to allegedly attend El Clasico in Madrid.
Frendo, last season’s top scorer, was badly missed in the defeat as the Saints mustered just four shots on target against a Concord side that they struggled to break down.
Writing on the club’s fans’ forum, some have asked the club to make a statement by disciplining Frendo while others have called for his contract to be ripped up.
The Herts Ad contacted chairman Nick Archer but he said he would not be making a comment until he had discussed the matter with Frendo.
Speaking after the game, joint manager James Gray said: “It was a massive disappointment. He’s let us down, he’s let me down, he’s let the boys down because he is a talisman for us.
“It will have given Concord a big boost with him not being on the team sheet. We had to try and recover from that. Lee Clarke has come in and done well. He’s got his chance now and hopefully he can keep it.
“It’s a difficult situation to deal with. Until I sit down with the chairman, we shall see where we go from there.”
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 7 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 8 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
A win would have netted the club £12,000 in prizemoney and a potentially lucrative draw in the first round proper.