Manager criticises striker for missing FA Cup tie
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City manager James Gray has criticised John Frendo for missing Saturday’s FA Cup loss to Concord Rangers to allegedly attend El Clasico in Madrid.
Frendo, last season’s top scorer, was badly missed in the defeat as the Saints mustered just four shots on target against a Concord side that they struggled to break down.
Writing on the club’s fans’ forum, some have asked the club to make a statement by disciplining Frendo while others have called for his contract to be ripped up.
The Herts Ad contacted chairman Nick Archer but he said he would not be making a comment until he had discussed the matter with Frendo.
Speaking after the game, joint manager James Gray said: “It was a massive disappointment. He’s let us down, he’s let me down, he’s let the boys down because he is a talisman for us.
You may also want to watch:
“It will have given Concord a big boost with him not being on the team sheet. We had to try and recover from that. Lee Clarke has come in and done well. He’s got his chance now and hopefully he can keep it.
“It’s a difficult situation to deal with. Until I sit down with the chairman, we shall see where we go from there.”
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
A win would have netted the club £12,000 in prizemoney and a potentially lucrative draw in the first round proper.