Make mine a double! Lady Saints add cup to league win
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies made it a double celebration when they added the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Ladies League Cup to their league title.
Played at AFC Kempston, the Lady Saints had goals from Kerry Twigg and Ellie Lovelock to thank as they clinched a 2-1 win against Northwood.
The victory came after a tough game against the side St Albans had pipped to the title but it was the Saints who started the better.
An early Suz Read cross from the right sped across the face of goal and was cleared as Ellen Salter closed in and Kayla Johnson had a low drive zip past the upright.
Lovelock also put a shot wide of the post as she cut in from the right but Lauren Croucher had to be alert in the Saints’ goal to turn away a Scarlett Keightley chance.
You may also want to watch:
Good defending from the St Albans defensive unit of Holly Rossington, Becca Roft, Robyn McFayden and Cerys Low made sure that Croucher was well protected though.
The breakthrough came just before half-time.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 7 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 8 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 9 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 10 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
Lovelock and Salter had efforts blocked but as the ball ran loose again Twigg unleashed a brilliant low drive from 25 yards which nestled in the back of the net.
The only black mark on the opening period was a knee injury to Read which meant she was replaced by Katie Grehan.
Sophie Lawrence had the first chance of the second half with a shot from distance that went wide and then a header by Grehan was saved by Northwood keeper Becky Guilleman.
And after a bit of pressure at the other end, Northwood got their equaliser, Emma Steele bursting into the box before finishing into the corner.
Extra-time was not an option though for St Albans, especially with Johnson jetting off on holiday later that night, and after forcing a succession of corner kicks, they got the winning goal.
Salter swung in the set-piece from the right perfectly for Lovelock who struck a low shot into the far corner.
Another Salter corner almost produced a third for Grehan but it wasn’t needed and Saints lifted the cup.
St Albans: Lauren Croucher, Katie Chandler, Nicola Dark, Sophie Lawrence, Jessica Cavaree, Cerys Low, Robyn McFayden, Holly Rossingdon, Kerry Twigg, Ellen Salter, Kayla Johnson, Becca Roft, Kiran Reyat, Ellie Lovelock, Suz Read, Katie Grehan.