Magpies make progress in FA Vase as May’s stunning late save denies Langford

Action from Colney Heath's FA Vase win over Langford (pic Mark Mockridge)

Action from Colney Heath's FA Vase win over Langford (pic Mark Mockridge) - Credit: Archant

Colney Heath earned a home tie against Histon in the FA Vase after a hard-fought 2-1 win over Langford.

They made a bright start, with Akim Akinbinu firing just wide from Charlie Hunter’s free-kick in the first minute.

The Magpies took the lead on three minutes when Jack Woods found Spencer Clarke-Mardel, who helped it on to Danny Fitzgerald. And a cross to the far post was headed across goal by Josh Humbert for Clarke-Mardel to tap in from close range.

Fitzgerald found Woods with a lovely ball but, with Heath about to celebrate a second goal, the flag went up for offside.

Langford were back on terms on seven minutes, though, when a corner from Jordan Stewart found the unmarked Luke Smith at the far post to head home.

And Smith went close to another, only for Charlie May to produce a good diving save to his right to keep out the low drive.

The hosts regained the lead as Woods hit a low ball towards goal and Greg Shaw slid in with a defender to help it over the line, with both Magpies claiming it.

Most Read

And they saw Langford keeper Ben Watson claim a dangerous Hunter cross off the head of Josh Humbert, before saving another effort following Clarke-Mardel’s knockdown and then pouncing at his near post to smother a low cross from the same player.

Sam Doolan had a header saved from Hunter’s free-kick, before Greg Shaw let fly from 25 yards on the stroke of half time and saw the ball fly inches past the post.

Watson tipped a Humbert shot over the crossbar early in the second half, before Woods worked space in the box and knocked the ball past the advancing keeper only to see Stewart race back to clear off the line.

May had to push a superb shot from Smith onto the crossbar at the other end, though, before Watson thwarted Hunter and Humbert once more.

Heath were awarded a penalty when Clarke-Mardel was bundled over in the box, but Watson pushed out Shaw’s spot-kick and Akinbinu blasted over.

May denied Smith late on with a stunning save, while Doolan had two headers cleared off the line and Watson kept out a Woods header at the far post. Magpies host Biggleswade FC on Saturday, then visit Stotfold on Tuesday.

Heath: May, Lewis, Hunter, Dudrenec, Doolan, Shaw, Woods, Fitzgerald, Clarke-Mardel, Humbert, Akinbinu. Subs: Shepherd, Scott. Unused: Hubble.