Magpies see off Hatfield
Williams and Cooper score to seal all three points
SSML Premier Division
Colney Heath 2 Hatfield Town 1
A BUMPER crowd was at the Recreation Ground on Saturday to see Colney Heath beat local rivals Hatfield Town.
The crowd of nearly 100 saw Jason Williams open the scoring for the Magpies in just the sixth minute with a neat finish.
Gary Phillips’ side then took control of the game, but they didn’t score the second until the 45th minute, when Ian Cooper notched his almost compulsory goal, his 19th league goal so far, to make it 2-0 at the half term break.
Unfortunately, Hatfield came out from the break better than Colney Heath and soon made it 2-1 with Richard Cooke netting.
- 1 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
- 4 Police arrest St Albans man on suspicion of 'harassment'
- 5 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 6 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 7 Drug dealer hid in child's playhouse to evade arrest in Harpenden
- 8 Harley-Davidson rider dies in A5183 Radlett crash
- 9 St Albans MP condemns Home Office for asylum seekers incompetence
- 10 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
Colney Heath seemed to be rattled by this quick start and panicked slightly, almost allowing Hatfield to draw level.
However, the Magpies weathered the storm and should have more than doubled their lead but good goalkeeping by the Hatfield ‘keeper and wayward finishing from Colney Heath meant the score stayed the same until the final whistle.