Magpies into third
Cooper hat-trick seals victory
COLNEY Heath moved up into the top three of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division after snatching victory at Biggleswade United on Saturday.
Ian Cooper gave Heath a first half lead but the Magpies were guilty of conceding two sloppy goals in the second half to leave their long unbeaten run in the balance.
However goals from Stewart King and two more from Cooper in the last 15 minutes ensured the Magpies took all the points.
“We’re doing our best,” manager Scott Lacey told the Herts Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
“They were some of the windiest conditions I’ve known and to be fair Biggleswade played the conditions a lot better than us.
“For 25 minutes in the second half they battered us and we could have done a lot better.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
The Magpies have been busy revamping their squad this week bringing in defender Daniel Staples from neighbours Hatfield Town.
Staples’ arrival tempers the loss of forward King who has joined Oxhey Jets in a bid for more first team action.
“We’ve lost Stewart King to Oxhey Jets today which is a blow,” said Lacey.
“But we’ve made a massive signing in Daniel Staples.
“He is a big addition to the squad and he is not here to make up the numbers.
His arrival shows that Colney Heath is now at the level where top players want to come to the club.”
“We’ve got good players coming back into the fold. Jack Coombs has got to come back in and Josh Humbert and Paul Armstrong.”
* Colney Heath’s unbeaten run came to an end at Aylesbury United last night (Wednesday)as the Magpies lost 2-0.