Magpies defeat Harpenden
East Men s League Premier A Harleston Magpies 7 Harpenden 0 HARPENDEN, now condemned to relegation, took a young side to league champions Harleston on Saturday. Given the gap in the table the result was perhaps inevitable but provided valuable experience
East Men's League Premier A
Harleston Magpies 7 Harpenden 0
HARPENDEN, now condemned to relegation, took a young side to league champions Harleston on Saturday.
Given the gap in the table the result was perhaps inevitable but provided valuable experience for some of Harpenden's young starlets and they stepped up to the task.
For the first 10 minutes Harpenden held strong and even had a short corner of their own. However, soon after the home side broke the deadlock, beating goalkeeper Matt Beggs with a clinical short corner.
It was a sign of things to come with two more following very shortly from the clinical league leaders. The second half proved difficult for Harpenden and damage limitation was soon a matter of course. Despite conceding a hatful including one delightful lob from the Harleston striker, the team can hold their heads high after a courageous performance.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
In the East Women's League Division 2S, Harpenden Ladies won 7-0 at Maidstone II on Saturday to continue their relentless pursuit of the title. Harpenden are top on 40 points, with a game in hand on second placed Gillingham Anchorians on 38 points.