Magpies’ cup tie cancelled after 90 minutes

For the second game in a row, Colney Heath had to contend with the element. Picture: Danny Loo

For the second game in a row, Colney Heath had to contend with the element. Picture: Danny Loo - Credit: Archant

Colney Heath face another midweek trip to Holmer Green in the Dudley Latham Memorial Cup after Tuesday’s game was cancelled after 90 minutes with the teams drawing six-all.

The Magpies raced out to a 4-0 lead before Holmer Green pulled one back before half-time.

With the wind now in their faces, Colney Heath couldn’t contain their opposition who utilised the conditions to score from “all angles and distances,” according to manager Wes Awad.

Heath took a 5-4 lead but they had to net a late goal to ensure the game went to extra-time after Green added two more.

With the teams ready for another 30 minutes of football the referee called the game to an end. Both managers protested, seeking a resolution and even suggesting the game went straight to penalties, but the official was unswayed.

Heath will travel to Holmer Green next Thursday for the replay.

Speaking the morning after the game, Awad admitted he was frustrated that common sense did not prevail on the night.

Most Read

“In fairness to the referee, the pitch was unplayable at the end and the wind was farcial,” he said.

“But both managers wanted a result. With the fixture pile up and lack of football it seemed the sensible thing to do.

“Had we played one minute of extra-time and then the game was cancelled the replay would be at our place. We felt we did enough to warrant that. Now we have to travel to their place which messes up our preparation for the league matches.”

He added: “In terms of the game, it was very entertaining. In the first half we played really well; possibly some of the best football of the season.

“It may be a cliche but it was a game of two halves. We were worried about conidtions in the second half and they were shooting and scoring from all angles and distances. Three of their goals were from 35 yards and I can’t blame [goalkeeper] Ricky Perks for any of them.

“We showed great character to get a draw when we were really up against it.”

The Magpies are not in action this Saturday or on Tuesday, adding to the lunacy of Holmer Green game being cancelled, said Awad. Their next game is Holmer Green replay on February 13.