Macleod backs England for Rio qualification
- Credit: Archant
‘Diligent’ Great Britain are well placed to earn qualification for Rio 2016, according to Hannah Macleod.
St Albans Hockey Club’s player-coach played a starring role for Great Britain in the World League competition in Valencia as they beat 2014 Champions Trophy winners Argentina. It was Macleod who scored the opening goal in the 2-0 victory which took Team GB to the top of Pool A.
Managed by St Albans’ goalkeeping coach John Hurst, Britain had already defeated hosts Spain and went on to beat Canada 4-2 and China 2-0 to finish top of pool A.
They face South Africa tomorrow in the quarter-fina.
“We have an smart, diligent and talented bunch of players who work hard for each other and know their roles inside out. To beat the host nation Spain, and the number three ranked team in the world, Argentina, is a true reflection of the confidence we have at the moment,” Macleod told the Herts Ad.
You may also want to watch:
“We came to Valencia under no illusions as to how important it is that we secure Olympic Qualification. Four wins from four give us a favourable cross-over and a win in the next match against South Africa will ensure we are on a flight to Rio next summer.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 10 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities