Macleod backs England for Rio qualification
- Credit: Archant
‘Diligent’ Great Britain are well placed to earn qualification for Rio 2016, according to Hannah Macleod.
St Albans Hockey Club’s player-coach played a starring role for Great Britain in the World League competition in Valencia as they beat 2014 Champions Trophy winners Argentina. It was Macleod who scored the opening goal in the 2-0 victory which took Team GB to the top of Pool A.
Managed by St Albans’ goalkeeping coach John Hurst, Britain had already defeated hosts Spain and went on to beat Canada 4-2 and China 2-0 to finish top of pool A.
They face South Africa tomorrow in the quarter-fina.
“We have an smart, diligent and talented bunch of players who work hard for each other and know their roles inside out. To beat the host nation Spain, and the number three ranked team in the world, Argentina, is a true reflection of the confidence we have at the moment,” Macleod told the Herts Ad.
“We came to Valencia under no illusions as to how important it is that we secure Olympic Qualification. Four wins from four give us a favourable cross-over and a win in the next match against South Africa will ensure we are on a flight to Rio next summer.”
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire