Love goal saves Rovers from heartbreak
Herts Senior County League Premier Division Knebworth 1 Sandridge Rovers 1 STUART Love scored late on to hand Sandridge Rovers a point at Knebworth on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League. Rovers boss Bob Fowler was disenchanted with the way his sid
Herts Senior County League Premier Division
Knebworth 1 Sandridge Rovers 1
STUART Love scored late on to hand Sandridge Rovers a point at Knebworth on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League.
Rovers boss Bob Fowler was disenchanted with the way his side spurned opportunities in the first half and felt in the end a point was the best they deserved. He said: "It was a poor performance. We should have been three up at half time with opportunities that we let slip yet again. They came out in the second half and were the better side."
Knebworth took the lead with just 12 minutes remaining and the goal suddenly sparked Sandridge into life. Ryan Denys burst away from three players and was felled in the box but Love stepped up and failed to convert the spot kick.
Rovers kept battling and, with time running out, substitute Chris Wickens made his considerable presence felt and Love crashed the ball into the top corner for 1-1. Fowler said: "Lovey redeemed himself. We only just deserved a point out of the game. Chris Wickens will be given the number nine shirt on Saturday. We launched him into action in the second half at Knebworth and he caused problems because he puts defenders under so much pressure."
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
- 6 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 7 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 10 Who was the witch of St Albans?
Rovers face a tough away trip to Bedmond Sports and Social on Saturday and Fowler knows the game is vital for his team. He said: "It is a massive game. If I don't get what I want this weekend then there will have to be changes. We are in a dogfight."
Talented youngster Ali Kabba scored twice for Sandridge Rovers Reserves on Saturday against Wodson Park FC Reserves in Reserve Division Two. Fowler said: "Ali is a tremendous talent. He has been plagued with an ankle injury but I wasn't surprised that he scored two goals. He kills a ball stone dead from anywhere and just needs to put a bit of physical presence to him.