London Colney win lots of plaudits despite FA Cup exit at Wingate & Finchley
- Credit: Archant
London Colney bowed out of the FA Cup with a 4-1 first round qualifying defeat away to Wingate & Finchley – but not before giving their loftier opponents a big scare.
Two divisions and 40 places separated Isthmian Premier Division Wingate and the SSML Premier Blue Boys but that was only on paper. On the pitch it was a much closer affair.
The home side were heading towards a flattering 1-0 half-time lead, courtesy of Alan Fleming's 34th minute strike, when Ieuan Lewis scored a deserved equaliser.
And Colney had their chances after the break too with Wingate keeper Shane Gore needed to make a number of big stops.
But the hosts retook the lead on the hour through Tanasheh Abrahams and put the game to bed on 78 with Alphonso Kennedy's mazy run and shot.
You may also want to watch:
Fleming's second of the game added undeserved gloss to the final score but the Blue Boys should take plenty of confidence into their upcoming matches.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly