London Colney win lots of plaudits despite FA Cup exit at Wingate & Finchley
- Credit: Archant
London Colney bowed out of the FA Cup with a 4-1 first round qualifying defeat away to Wingate & Finchley – but not before giving their loftier opponents a big scare.
Two divisions and 40 places separated Isthmian Premier Division Wingate and the SSML Premier Blue Boys but that was only on paper. On the pitch it was a much closer affair.
The home side were heading towards a flattering 1-0 half-time lead, courtesy of Alan Fleming's 34th minute strike, when Ieuan Lewis scored a deserved equaliser.
And Colney had their chances after the break too with Wingate keeper Shane Gore needed to make a number of big stops.
But the hosts retook the lead on the hour through Tanasheh Abrahams and put the game to bed on 78 with Alphonso Kennedy's mazy run and shot.
Fleming's second of the game added undeserved gloss to the final score but the Blue Boys should take plenty of confidence into their upcoming matches.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep