London Colney win lots of plaudits despite FA Cup exit at Wingate & Finchley
- Credit: Archant
London Colney bowed out of the FA Cup with a 4-1 first round qualifying defeat away to Wingate & Finchley – but not before giving their loftier opponents a big scare.
Two divisions and 40 places separated Isthmian Premier Division Wingate and the SSML Premier Blue Boys but that was only on paper. On the pitch it was a much closer affair.
The home side were heading towards a flattering 1-0 half-time lead, courtesy of Alan Fleming's 34th minute strike, when Ieuan Lewis scored a deserved equaliser.
And Colney had their chances after the break too with Wingate keeper Shane Gore needed to make a number of big stops.
But the hosts retook the lead on the hour through Tanasheh Abrahams and put the game to bed on 78 with Alphonso Kennedy's mazy run and shot.
You may also want to watch:
Fleming's second of the game added undeserved gloss to the final score but the Blue Boys should take plenty of confidence into their upcoming matches.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads