London Colney slip to Berkhamsted loss
London Colney failed to find an equalising goal against 10-man Berkhamsted on Saturday as they ran out on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline.
The Blueboys started brightly and were very unlucky not to take the lead when Spencer Clarke-Mardel unleashed a shot from 25 yards that beat Carl Tasker in the Berko goal only to see it crash back off the right hand post
Two minutes later the visitors took the lead after Tom Smith brought down Connor Calcott inside the box. Adam Mead stepped up a drove the resulting penalty home.
London Colney tried to hit back; Matt Newman shot just wide, Martin Collins fired a effort just over the bar and Danny Fitzgerald had a long range effort tipped over the bar.
The second half was only a couple of minutes old when the Blueboys drew level. A long ball upfield found Collins who beat a defender and crossed the ball for Fitzgerald to score.
Colney continued to pour forward but they could not turn their pressure into a second goal. Their failure to score came back to bite them as Berkhamsted scored a second, and winning, goal.
Josh Chamberlain picked up the ball 30 yards from Mark Whittamore’s goal and drilled the ball low into the bottom corner.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 Hemel Hempstead man wanted as part of assault investigation
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 St Albans one of the UK's top 10 most beautiful cities, says tiling firm
- 7 All trains cancelled between St Albans Abbey and Watford
- 8 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 9 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
Berkhamsted were reduced to 10 players when they had former Blueboy Steve Hawes sent off after picking up two yellow cards.
With a numerical advantage, Colney pushed forward for a leveller but it was not to be and the game ended 2-1.