London Colney ship four against Stotfold
- Credit: Archant
LONDON Colney lost in their first match at Cotlandswick since December going down 4-2 to Stotfold on Saturday.
After a tight first half, the game swang in the visitors’ direction as they completed a league double over the Blueboys.
Early on Lewis Holmes had a shot pushed around the post by a good save from Mark Whittamore.
Play switched to the other end and this time it was Matt Newman whose low drive flashed wide of Lee Robinson’s goal.
Next, following a good build up, Matt Sutton blasted the ball over the bar while following a scramble in the Blueboys’ box Murphy cleared off the line.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Dickie then set up Newman and his shot on the turn whistled past Robinson’s far post and once again Sutton had a good chance, but this time his effort just cleared the crossbar.
As the match seemed to be heading for a goalless first half, Stotfold broke down the right wing and Lee Pateman’s low cross swept across the box and Matt Ellis tucked home from close range.
- 1 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 5 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
- 8 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 9 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 10 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
Straight from the re-start Dave Parkinson made a mazy run into the box, beating three players but his rising shot went over.
In the first minute of the second half Stotfold made it 2-0.
Kim Forsythe set up Paul Garrett who fired in from 10 yards.
It nearly became 3-0 when Pateman latched on to a careless backpass from Wright, but Whittamore pulled off a fine double save to deny the attacker.
The Blueboys pulled a goal back as Newman was fouled just outside the box and Parkinson sent a fantastic curling free-kick into the top corner.
Stotfold hit back. A Pateman free-kick came back off the post and soon after he burst through the middle making it 3-1.
As the Blueboys tried to respond Newman had a drive beaten away by Robinson, but nobody was there to follow-up.
Stotfold then went 4-1 ahead as a quick break saw Garrett find Ellis as he grabbed his second of the match.
The Blueboys though pulled a goal back after Jack Woods crossed into the box and Robinson fouled Danny Fitzgerald giving away a penalty.
Parkinson netted from the spot making the score 4-2.
Minutes later Jack Woods was sent-off after a rash tackle on the half-way line.
Sutton headed wide from a Fitzgerald corner and Newman sent Parkinson away and his low drive was deflected just wide of the right hand post with Robinson wrong-footed in what was the last chance of the match.