London Colney ship four against Stotfold
- Credit: Archant
LONDON Colney lost in their first match at Cotlandswick since December going down 4-2 to Stotfold on Saturday.
After a tight first half, the game swang in the visitors’ direction as they completed a league double over the Blueboys.
Early on Lewis Holmes had a shot pushed around the post by a good save from Mark Whittamore.
Play switched to the other end and this time it was Matt Newman whose low drive flashed wide of Lee Robinson’s goal.
Next, following a good build up, Matt Sutton blasted the ball over the bar while following a scramble in the Blueboys’ box Murphy cleared off the line.
Tom Dickie then set up Newman and his shot on the turn whistled past Robinson’s far post and once again Sutton had a good chance, but this time his effort just cleared the crossbar.
As the match seemed to be heading for a goalless first half, Stotfold broke down the right wing and Lee Pateman’s low cross swept across the box and Matt Ellis tucked home from close range.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 8 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Straight from the re-start Dave Parkinson made a mazy run into the box, beating three players but his rising shot went over.
In the first minute of the second half Stotfold made it 2-0.
Kim Forsythe set up Paul Garrett who fired in from 10 yards.
It nearly became 3-0 when Pateman latched on to a careless backpass from Wright, but Whittamore pulled off a fine double save to deny the attacker.
The Blueboys pulled a goal back as Newman was fouled just outside the box and Parkinson sent a fantastic curling free-kick into the top corner.
Stotfold hit back. A Pateman free-kick came back off the post and soon after he burst through the middle making it 3-1.
As the Blueboys tried to respond Newman had a drive beaten away by Robinson, but nobody was there to follow-up.
Stotfold then went 4-1 ahead as a quick break saw Garrett find Ellis as he grabbed his second of the match.
The Blueboys though pulled a goal back after Jack Woods crossed into the box and Robinson fouled Danny Fitzgerald giving away a penalty.
Parkinson netted from the spot making the score 4-2.
Minutes later Jack Woods was sent-off after a rash tackle on the half-way line.
Sutton headed wide from a Fitzgerald corner and Newman sent Parkinson away and his low drive was deflected just wide of the right hand post with Robinson wrong-footed in what was the last chance of the match.